Monday, March 3, 2008

The Choo-Choo.



One beer before leaving the office, one cig on the way to the station and I was ready to go. Ready to go on my first of many train rides to the City of Roses, during my years that I will spend in Seattle. Due to its nature of being my first ride, it was bound to be one of incredible education.

After checking in and receiving my ticket it was time to stand in line, awaiting seat assignment. Standing silently, with my bags and right before I was to receive my seat I hear one of the two girls standing behind me ask “who smells like beer?” Next thing you know, we’re assigned seats together (sitting at one of the tables, with four seats) along with a literal choir-boy. Let’s make this a long story short … these girls were obnoxious (one more than the other), loud, punk-music loving hooligans that were hell bent on getting wasted on the train. They offered me booze, I accepted.

After roughly a pint of vodka, a few hands of spades and suffering through looks of a nasty nature from everyone in our car (thanks, incredibly loud and annoying punk girl)… I accepted the fact that I was a) not going to get watch last week’s episode of LOST that I had just put on my iPhone b) read c) be able to write and combined with my increasing buzz, I decided that it was time to see what the lounge/bistro car was all about.

Much to my surprise not only did the lounge car offer cheap brews but they also had sundries, including my FAVORITE sundry … pepcid AC. Which, was a big deal seeing as how I had forgot mine and I knew that the night would hold many heartburn inducing activities. Whilst in this car, I met an elderly fellow by the name of Ed. Ed was retired military and had a mighty illustrious career that spanned over 35 years, seeing action in: Vietnam, Panama, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, and so on. We talked about his kids (all talented from the sounds of it), we talked about where I was going and the fact that he was going to visit a friend, a lady friend, who had known for years and had grown increasingly close to, most of it culminating in the weekend that he was about to have. This exact topic is what struck me as amazing, something that filled my head with wonderment that circle around a simple, central theme … it doesn’t matter how old you are that when you have a new romance in your life, it feels as if it’s the first time something like that has ever happened to you, a new/blank slate that is ready to be drawn upon. Ed complimented me on my approach and general outlook on life, I thanked him.

The train arrived a few minutes late, but I had no problem with that.

1 comment:

Drew McCrary said...

The beauty of the train is the eclecticism; one train ride you are surrounded by silence and left to your devices, the next you are surrounded by high school kids going to a video game tourney and engaging in all sorts of faggotry until 4 in the morning. To overdo the Forest Gump reference, riding the train is like a box of chocolates...

Public transportation is fantastic... just not in LA.

Drew